Monday, June 8, 2009

Movie Memory Post

I would say that no one movie actually enabled me to realize the power of the movie watching experience, rather a number of movies. My first experience with a movie, which made a lasting impression on me, would most likely be The World is Not Enough. Not only was it an introduction for me to the James Bond series but the first action movie I remember seeing. I enjoyed my experience watching this movie so much that I became a Bond fanatic and ten years later I can say that I have either seen or own all of the 23 Bond movies.

Not only was the plot entertaining but the exotic locations to which Bond traveled in the film(s) always going to first class hotels, wearing the finest tailored suits and having the coolest gadgets. Being an automobile aficionado when I saw Bonds superb BMW Z8 in The World is Not Enough and all the gadgets included I could not stop thinking about getting one of my own.

Another movie, which kept me on the edge of my seat and continues to this day to not only be one of my favorite movies but one that also continues to puzzle me, is definitely the movie Ronin starring Robert De Niro and french actor Jean Reno. Ronin definitely embodies everything that is commonly associated with action thrillers. The entire movie centers around individuals hired to steal a mysterious briefcase although these are no ordinary individuals with nearly all being formally employed by their countries as either a member of the military or intelligence/counter intelligence. As a result of these individuals no longer being needed or employed by their government they become in essence individuals without a job and without a country hence the title Ronin (a reference to a masterless samurai in feudal Japan.) The briefcase remains the center of nearly the entire film but the contents are never revealed to the viewer. The mystery and intrigue surrounding the case remains for me today and even after seeing it numerous times the viewer is left to only guess what the possible contents are.

No comments:

Post a Comment